Well, my friends, we made it to Friday! Hallelujah and happy, happy day! In an effort to post a little more regularly on the blog, I thought it might be fun to bring back a series I did ages ago (we’re talking back when I started the blog in 2013) called “The Friday 5.” Basically, every Friday I’ll give you the low down on anything that’s on my mind from that week. New products I’m trying, life events, things on my mind… whatever comes to mind when I start to write. Hopefully, it’s a series you will enjoy. make sure to leave your feedback in the comments.
The Friday 5 | 1/18/19
1. I couldn’t escape the cold
I thought I was in the clear after still feeling okay days after Erik caught a cold, but alas my immune system eventually crapped out and I’ve felt pretty crummy since Tuesday. I really thought Tuesday was simply because f my all day Alice adventure, but a runny nose was a dead giveaway. I had to enlist my cold essentials to help me survive the rest of the week. What are my sickness essentials? I’m so glad you asked:
- Sudafed- Generic brand is okay, but it has to be the drug that is now only available behind the pharmacy counter, pseudoephedrine. The other drug that is now in the aisles is crap and doesn’t work half as well as what I call “the good stuff.” It’s not expensive or anything, but apparently people figured out you can make meth or something with it (what the actual heck?!) and so they now have to regulate how much you take home in a given time period. Way to ruin it for the rest of us, guys.
- Zicam- These tablets make everything you eat and drink taste terrible (diet friendly bonus??), but I do think it does its job of shortening the duration of my colds. I’m pretty sure it’s just zinc, but anything that helps is a winner in my book.
- Afrin nasal spray- This has been in my life since I was young. Again, the generic brand is fine, but this spray will open up even the most stuffed nasal passages. Beware: Do NOT take it for more than a few days and no more than the recommended dosage because it can really mess things up if you abuse it. I know a woman whose nasal passages look like she was a regular drug snorter but she had never done drugs in her life. It was from taking Afrin far too frequently! I learned this in high school and have been careful ever since.
- A super hydrating cream for my lips and nose- My nose gets super irritated as soon as I have to regularly use tissues. We’re talking red, dry, and peely, kind of like a sunburn. Using a super hydrating cream is my saving grace. This time around I am using Lano Multi-Purpose Balm and it’s working really well on taking care of my lips and my nose, which is great because I’m pretty sure I will have gone through an entire box of tissues by the time this is over.
2. Mom For A Day
On Tuesday I was mom for a day. My dad is currently unable to take care of Alice due to having an emergency eye surgery, so family and friends are coming together to manage childcare. I got her all day on Tuesday. We played, I must have said “no” or “stop that” no less than 250000 times, we watched half a movie, we threw a few tantrums.. you know, the joys of hanging out with a two-year-old all day. By the time I got home (after going straight to the gym, which I gave myself major props for), I showered, ate the most low key dinner ever and started struggling to keep my eyes open at 8:30 pm! Oh my goodness what kind of black magic do toddlers have that somehow drains every last ounce of energy from your body??? Between that and the beginning of my cold, I was in bed by 10 pm and passed out all night long. Mom for a day was hard for someone who is inexperienced. You mamas are the real MVPs!
3. Two New Skincare Items
I’m trying to not buy a whole lot of beauty products until I use up a lot of my current collection, but I did make a small purchase at Sephora while they were offering 2x points on skincare. My first product was the Fresh Beauty Black Tea Kombucha Essense clocking in at $68 for the bottle, which hurt a bit, but it’s such a raved about product I was dying to try it. Here’s Sephora’s description:
The silky essence gives skin a luminous glow, helps fades fine lines, minimizes pores, improves elasticity, smooths its texture, boosts its healthy tone, and hydrates for up to 24 hours. Kombucha, fermented black tea proven to fight wrinkle-causing pollution and free radicals, is the star in this product.
Sounds like a winner, right? The other product I picked up was the thing that really broke the bank. Clocking in at a whopping $5.90, I finally purchased my first serum from The Ordinary. I got their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum which is supposed to help with acne. Niacinamide was an ingredient found in the formula that was custom made for me by Dermacare, so I knew it worked well for my skin. I figure for less than $6 I might as well give it a shot. Full reviews will be coming later on.
4. Sweat it out?
I want to know: When you have a cold do you stay away from physical activity or do you try to sweat it out? I haven’t skipped a workout yet this week, despite feeling a bit crummy and being totally hopped up on cold medication. I must say, I definitely don’t feel any worse for sticking to my workout routine. What would you do?
5. My Heart Will Go On
Many of you tell me you want to hear me sing. Well, I posted a video of me singing in the finals of “The Voice of the Ocean” while we were on our cruise over Christmas. It was a really cool experience to be able to sing with the live band on the main stage of the cruise ship. I once had aspirations to be a cruise ship performer, and now I can officially check that off of my bucket list. Pretty neat! In case you missed the video, you can see it below.