Because I ended up reading and researching the blog and author behind the book Lessons From Madame Chic, I ultimately ended up coming across this book as well. Choosing the Simply Luxurious Life: A Modern Woman’s Guide written by Shannon Ables is an incredibly enjoyable book that talks about living luxuriously no matter what your financial means are.
Many of us take the word “luxurious” and make it synonymous with “expensive,” and while that may be the case for some, Shannon talks about the little things that can make life feel luxurious. It’s all about quality, not quantity.
Shannon Ables is the blogger behind The Simply Luxurious Life. Not only does she blog, but she also has a fun podcast that I now listen to every week. She covers a wide range of topics from style and shopping to the differences between women and girls, all done with a strong display of knowledge and grace as she writes or speaks. I often feel a little more luxurious just listening to her.
While I suggest you go check out Shannon’s blog, we are here to talk a little bit about her book. Choosing the Simply Luxurious Life is a well-written, comprehensive guide that can really help women start treating life in a way that is fruitful and fulfilling. The book is divided into 12 chapters, all of which are full of amazing advice about each topic.
- Fall in Love with Your Life
- Live Simply Luxuriously
- Becoming Financially Savvy & Independent
- Building a Signature Style: Dress for the Life You Want
- Creating a Sanctuary, No Matter What the Size
- Good Health & Radiant Beauty
- Dating, Relationships & Moving On
- Simple Choices & Pleasures That Make a Difference
- Traveling the World in Style and Comfort
- Indulging Your Inner Francophile
- Entertaining, Holidays & Other Celebrations
- The Most Important Lesson
I’m sure you can see just by the chapter titles alone that these are areas of life where every woman would love to see improvement, despite how content she already is in that area. While I’m not going to spoil anything for you, as I really believe you should get your hands on this book and read it yourself, here are a few of my favorite things Shannon taught me.
The foundation of living a simply luxurious life is made up of substance, passion, quality , sensibility, sincerity, appreciation, and continual growth.
- Everyone has their own vision for what a simply luxurious life looks like.
- Create, savor, and value personal rituals (she has one that I’m highly considering adapting into my own lifestyle. Hint: It involves chocolate 🙂 )
- It is important to spend time with yourself. It might be scary, but once you get to know yourself, you learn your passions and what needs to happen to make your life what you want it to be.
- Find your personal style without worrying about what the current trends are. Invest in quality pieces for your closet.
- Shannon also has thoughts on food and exercise. Check out the book to learn what they are.
- It is important to make your home your personal sanctuary, and it is possible to do no matter the size.
- I love her entire chapter on rules for being a houseguest as well as hosting house guests.
- It is important to constantly strive to learn and grow.
These are just a few out of a very long list of things in her book that I have taken to heart. Reading this has made me really excited about Mister and I moving in to our next home so we can work at making our next chapter feel even more fulfilling than the last. I know the words of Shannon’s book, blog, and podcast will continue to inspire me to take joy in simple pleasures and live the simply luxurious life.