The other day I accidentally made a creation that is certainly going to become a staple in my breakfast routine. I’ve seen overnight oats on blogs and Instagram photos a ton lately, and they always look so pretty and sound so good. I was feeling inspired and decided to try my own twist on it. I went over to Trader Joe’s and found rolled oats at a reasonable price (I’ll be honest, I don’t even know if rolled oats are the “proper” oats to use) and the adventure began.
Many recipes called for using almond milk and many have things in it that, while healthy, makes the Smart Points values add up quickly. Since I wanted more protein, I oped to try mixing them in with my fat free Greek yogurt (2 Smart Points) instead. I used 1/4 C, mixed it up, and let it sit. It turned out to be quite thick, but to the point of dry and not all that awesome. Back to the drawing board.
Thursday night I had a thought..because you know, I’m always thinking about food and random inspiration can strike at any time.. What if I used almond milk but put my Quest protein powder in it first?? Genius! Guess what? It worked! I ended up with the richest, chocolatey-est, dessert-esqe breakfast that only cost me 6 Smart points. While it might not be the prettiest looking thing, I don’t care, because to me, it tastes awesome.
Even better? It’s only 3 ingredients! Well, 4 if you include the strawberries I decided to throw in before eating them. Easy: check! Quick: check! High Protein: Check! Low Smart Points: Check!
I consider this a win!
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Scoop Quest Nutrition Chocolate Protein Powder
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Strawberries or fruit of your choice
- Combine almond milk and protein powder until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Add oats and stir until combined.
- If you haven't already, put the mixture in the container it will be resting in. I tend to mix everything in the container to minimizes dirty dishes.
- Cover and put in refrigerator to sit overnight.
- Go to bed and have sweet dreams about the chocolatey goodness that awaits you at breakfast.
- Add fruit (optional) and enjoy!
- You can use any protein powder you wish, but I find Quest brand to be my favorite. Personal preference. Just know that Smart Points/nutritional values may vary.
- This doesn't just have to be a breakfast food. This tastes so good I would totally eat it as a dessert too!
While many people like to put their overnight oats in mason jars, I didn’t feel like going out and buying anything, so I find that these twist lid 2 cup containers by Ziploc get the job done just fine.
Last note: Don’t like chocolate? Quest Nutrition has a ton of different flavor options (salted caramel, peanut butter, strawberry, banana, and even cookies and cream) that would all work great in this recipe. Whatever taste you want, the recipe will work just as well and be just as protein packed.
Enjoy a happy, healthy morning!