Hi! I’m Brianna, the diva behind Diva and the Divine. I’m in my 30’s living in the Chicago suburbs with my husband and my little Yorkie, Gracie. While the Mister is working hard at a job that has him wearing suits and traveling a lot, I get to stay at home to be a housewife running the house and work on my personal brand, Diva and the Divine. I thank God every day for the blessing that this lifestyle truly is.
I am very active in my church and very passionate about my faith, which you will learn pretty quickly when you follow me on here, Youtube, or social media. While many people stay away from discussing religion, I believe it is part of my calling to use this platform to tell others about the good news and love of Jesus. There’s a lot more to me than that, but don’t be shocked when this comes up.
I also have a genetic nerve disease called Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT for short). Long story short, because of this disease my muscles are a lot weaker than “normal,” but I’m working daily to become the fittest, strongest version of myself to give CMT a run for its money. I’d go into details here, but I have an entire video all about my life with this disease. Check it out!
I’ve been an on and off Weight Watcher since 2007. In summer 2011 I finally decided to get my act together and in November 2012 I hit my goal weight of 135 lbs after losing 57lbs. This was done on the Points Plus plan. Then, after a few years of maintenance, life got in the way and I gained 30 back, so I am now on my journey back to goal; a NEW goal, a BETTER goal, and this time I’m focused on health rather than being skinny.
Why “Diva and the Divine?”
Truthfully, my husband gets credit for coming up with the name. I wanted a place where I could talk about whatever I wanted. Originally, back when I tried to blog the first time in 2010, I had a blog that was specifically a beauty blog, and while I wanted to recreate that, I also had other passions (like weight loss), since I was moving at the time, I also wanted a place where I could talk about my life away from home, and I wanted to be able to express my Christian beliefs in God and Jesus if the topic came up. Obviously, I am the diva (which comes from most music theater girls being called divas) but I’ve got that whole diva complex under control. The Divine is a two-fold definition. 1: God. Without the divine God, I wouldn’t be here, so it’s Him and me. 2: Sometimes it’s about the divine things in life; new recipes, food finds, music, lip glosses, and workout tips. No one said divine things had to be huge! Find the simple joys, and make them your fuel for life. A bite of quality chocolate after a long day definitely tastes divine to me 🙂
10 (more) Things About Me
1. As I said, I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. It can be a struggle sometimes, but I have defied the odds and made it work. Luckily I have a husband who doesn’t mind that I have this physical issue, and is supportive and helpful. He actually sometimes forgets what I can’t do because he never looks at me as someone with a physical handicap. Read my full story on my life with CMT here.
2. I have a major sweet tooth. It’s what caused me to end up overweight, it can still be a struggle, but I work a little (or large, depending on how many PointsPlus I have left) something sweet into my day every day 😉
3. I am a bit of a nerd. I grew up a major Power Rangers fan and had the entire Pokedex of the original Pokemon memorized at one point. My husband and I also host regular board game nights. No, I am not ashamed. Not at all 🙂
4. I started singing at age 2 in the children’s choir of my church that my mom directed at the time. They haven’t been able to shut me up since.
5. I’ve always loved singing, but seeing Donny Osmond in “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” live on stage at age 8 is what really got me into theater.
6. I love watching baking TV shows.
7. Despite the fact I’m highly allergic, I LOVE dogs and often prefer them to people.
8. Favorite musicals (well, a few of them): Wicked, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Last 5 Years, Children of Eden, and Once on This Island..among others
9. My favorite colors are purple and “Elphaba” green
10. My senior recital in college was entitled “Defying Gravity” inspired by the act 1 finale of “Wicked”