Imagine that you woke up this morning and discovered $1,000,000 in your bank account. Not a million dollars that the government has to take a large chunk of for taxes or anything like that. Just a strait million that you were gifted and was all yours to spend however you wanted. Can you picture it?
What would you do with it?
I don’t mean what will you tell people you’ll do with it to make you look good or anything like that. What would you honestly do with a million dollars?
Today I figured I’d share my answer. This is 100% honest to goodness what I would do with the money if I woke up tomorrow to discover it was there and mine to spend.
- Pay off my husband’s business school loans. Seriously, this would be the first thing I’d do. Other than our mortgage, this is the only debt we really have, and it would be amazing to be able to take the money we use to pay off school loans every month and use it for other things. Bye bye loans!
- Pay off our mortgage. This one is self-explanatory. No more payments on our condo.
- Upgrade our technology. If I had this money to spend, I would absolutely use it to upgrade all of our tech. My ideal computer situation is a powerful desktop in the office so I can have a small, light, and easy to carry laptop for blogging purposes. Not that I don’t love doing everything on my laptop, but video and photo editing on a small screen can get old after awhile. Throw in a new computer for my husband (unless he wanted to share the desktop) and new phones and iPads for us both. Hooray tech upgrades!
- Set some money aside for savings. I’m married to a hardworking money saver. If I have the chance to make a significant contribution to his efforts, I’m going to do it.
- Buy a second car. Most of the week we don’t care that we’re a 1 car family, but it’s getting increasingly more inconvenient on the weekends
- Start looking at buying (or building) a house. My husband and I have visions of the future, and as we live in our beautiful two bedroom condo (that we adore, by the way) we are realizing there are some elements we would love in a home that we simply can’t get in our condo. A few more rooms would be great, so we each could have an office and there could be a legitimate guest bedroom rather than making guests sleep on our not so comfy pull out couch. Also, my husband now dreams of having a man cave for his nerd and hockey memorabilia to be fully on display while he gets to play video games. In my perfect world, we can design our home from the ground up, but I’m not even sure my husband knows I’m interested in doing that. Why would I pay off our condo if we would look for a different place to live? Then we can rent our current place out and use it as an investment. See? I really am married to a finance man.
- Decorate the new house.
- Hire a cleaning service. This is a dream of mine. I don’t mind doing the cleaning, especially since that’s part of the housewife job I signed up for, but I’m significantly slower, can’t do the cleaning that requires a heavy hand, and it wipes me out pretty quickly. #CMTLife… If I can hire someone to do most of the cleaning, that leaves me the time and the energy for many other things.
That’s honestly what I would do with a million dollars. I have to be honest, I’m pretty positive that a million dollars would just barely cover all of this while allowing for a significant contribution to our savings, but that’s not the point. The point is just to see where my money would go.
So now I ask you: What would YOU do with a million dollars?